Monday 4 January 2010

My Albums Of The Decade (FAIL Acknowldged)




Were any of my old teachers to read this, they'd be less than surprised. As I present a late, feeble consolidation of what should have been a larger body of work.

It seems it's harder than I thought to manage family life, 9-5 work, and an attempt at forging a musical career, while simultaneously sharing my musical thoughts & opinions with the blogosphere.

The fact I only have about 27 readers spares widescale shame and embarassment, though to the few that do read these rambling monologues, I apologise wholeheartedly.

I think I'll return to sparing entries covering some kind of theme going forwards.

Meantime, in order to complete a project (in somewhat meagre fashion as stated above) I list, in no particular order, 50 albums that hit me hard over the last decade and I continue to value to this day.

The only rule I have imposed is that it's limited to only one per artist.

Jim White - No Such Place
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - No More Shall We Part
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years
Calexico - Carried To Dust
Gillian Welch - Soul Journey
The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music
Jesse Malin - The Fine Art Of Self Destruction
Tom Waits - Real Gone
Spiritualized - Let It Come Down
PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Laura Cantrell - Not The Trembling Kind
My Morning Jacket - Z
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Two Gallants - What The Toll Tells
Cat Power - You Are Free
The Sleepy Jackson - Lovers
Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour Of Bewilderbeast
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Ian Brown - Music Of The Spheres
Interpol - Antics
Queens Of The Stone Age - Rated R
Beck - Sea Change
The Dears - Gang Of Losers
Blur - Think Tank
The Coral - Magic & Medicine
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
I Am Kloot - I Am Kloot
Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World**

That is, not forgetting what has gone before of course...

Coldplay - Parachutes
The National - Alligator
Ben Kweller - On My Way
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Elbow - Asleep In The Back
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Grand Drive - True Love & High Adventure
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Elvis Perkins In Dearland - Elvis Perkins In Dearland
Band Of Horses - Everything All The Time
The Felice Brothers - The Felice Brothers
The Decemberists - Picaresque
Whiskeytown - Pneumonia
The Tailors - Come Dig Me Up
Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker
The Gin Club - Junk
Frontier Ruckus - The Orion Songbook
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

I expect there's some notable omissions in there but hey, it's just a list eh? And a late, cobbled together from top of my head (and past blogs) one at that.

A supporting playlist, that will be much more exciting, and compiled with due care & attention, will follow in due course.

**NB - Edited 05/01/2010. A major oversight put to rights. Billy Bragg & Wilco (Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2)removed on a technicality.

No comments: