Thursday 5 November 2009

Doves - The Last Broadcast


Rising, if I remember rightly, around the same time as Elbow, and hailing from just up the road, Doves have provided 4 of my favourite albums this last ten years, but it's still 'The Last Broadcast' that I return to more than the others.

Having cemented early promise with their debut, I recall waiting impatiently for the follow up. Lead single 'There Goes The Fear' was a top 3 hit for the band and propelled them into a nation's consciousness with 'Words' providing Match Of The Day backing, and 'Pounding' proving another strong single.

The live shows around this time were also something to behold, with the band embracing their earlier days as 'Sub Sub', I remember going crazy at The Forum when they launched into 'Space Face' and this amongst other was documented on the brilliant 'Where We're Calling From' DVD, packaged alongside a host of extras and hidden features.

The album itself is packed with it's own gems - 'Satellites' still being the standout for me, though I feel churlish picking favourites from such a great bunch. In an age of 'shufflers', myself included, this is an album I continue to listen to from start to finish, waiting excitedly for the next gem.

No comments: