Monday 16 November 2009

I Had A Secret Meeting In The Basement Of My Brain

I recall I said I'd be posting every day with my 'best of' entries, and as is apparent, I've patently failed to live up to that commitment.

I'm sure my old school teachers wouldn't be surprised. Always a great talker, never a great writer, always full of excuses...

...this time round though, I forgive myself. And that's all that matters. I spent a great week off last week with my better half and our newborn son.

So in an attempt to play catch up, and upon reflection probably the best way forwards anyway, my posts will become more concise. More list-based with a coupla points, with more reasoned pieces in the new year as I justify my choices.

So, last week, it became apparent that these albums are worthy contenders...



Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue (Vol. 2)
Narrowly squeezing into the decade, there is always a danger of bias round these parts where Billy Bragg is concerned. However, with Volume 1 having acted as my introdution to Wilco, and having got to know them better by the time this came around, it was their contribution that really made this album for me.

Coldplay - Parachutes
Ambition has since taken Coldplay into other directions, filling stadiums and arenas worldwide, and while I still have a little time for them it tends to be that inquisitive first listen of a new album and that's my fill. Parachutes always has had refular spins though - from seeing them perform as a two piece in a tent in Pilton in 2000, through to headlining Glastonbury in 2002 as this album gave way to the second, I'm not sure I went a few weeks without listening to it.

The National - Alligator
Gripped by a strong performance on Jools Holland, I took a chance on this and it's informed some great stuff since, by The National and a number of their assosicates. 'Lit Up' is instant, while the whole album is filled with enchanting lyrics ('Secret Meeting' informs the title of this post) and captivating, sparring, guitars.

Ben Kweller - On My Way
I'd seen the name around, and my brother had fanzines and badges adorning our pinboard around 'Sha Sha' which I liked but for some reason largely ignored at the time. Something compelled me to buy 'On My Way' on it's release date though, and it's since driven a completists attitude to Ben Kweller. Ethan Johns production and the live feel to the record demand attention and it contains a bit of everything, from the Kinks-y garage rock of 'Ann Disaster' to the stripped back compelling title track.

2 comments:

kimbirch said...

Parachutes will be a lifelong classic, even for cold play haters! :)

Matt Hickey said...

The National have my third favourite album of the decade - but it's 'Boxer,' not 'Alligator.'
Both of them are amazing though.