Tuesday 24 November 2009

Next Four

So last time I wrote I was acknowledging my surprise agreement with some of the NME's list. We'll address that another time though, because of late, the following albums have garnered my attention.








The Black Keys - Rubber Factory
Heartily recommended by friends, "The Big Come Up" & "Thickfreakness" had already endeared me to The Black Keys, but "Rubber Factory" transformed me into a 'proper fan' so to speak. Their urgency was complemented by more considered tracks reflected in the two standouts, for me at least, the lazy blues of opener "When The lights Go Out", and the heartbreak lyrics and melody of "The Lengths".

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl
Another case of a band really finding themselves on album 3. The debut had hooked me straight away, though follow up "Take Them On, On Your Own" didn't really inspire me to play it beyond it's first week of release. "Howl", however, saw the band strip back, embracing the rawer side of the blues and country that had previously remained hidden behind their wall of sound, and introducing a gospel element from the outset - the a capella intro to "Shuffle Your Feet" setting the scene. While "Still Suspicion Holds You Tight" is occasionally skipped, it's only to reach "Fault Line" & "Promise", the latter beautifully capturing the mood of the record at it's peak.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
I'm sure I won't be alone in including this. A word of mouth sensation, no doubt aided by it's log cabin creation, it's near on impossible not to be moved by this album. Like many I expect, it was a cursory listen to "Skinny Love" that hooked me. That was followed by "The Wolves" and that was followed by the urge to buy the album. Since then, it's been an addiction, each track having it's day, even now I find it hard to pick a favourite. The lyrics occasionally hidden in Justin Vernon's falsetto, taking on different meanings at different times, sometimes even proving irrelevant when the music moves you. Sad in one monent, defiant, even triumphant, at the next. Pure brilliance.

Grand Drive - True Love & High Adventure
As if to show my record collection does go beyond 'B', we come to this. I used to see Grand Drive posters in our local studio and while knowing little about them, took a chance on this record one day. The opening 3 tracks rival any opening trio I've encountered either before or since, so full of ambition, especially evident upon realisation that this was in effect a debut album (first offering "Road Music" was a compilation of early EPs). The swirling keys, panned mandolin, intricate guitar and most of all, the tight harmonies set the scene and remain almost constant throughout. At a time when I was just being introduced to Americana this album proved pivotal, sending me headlong into the genre, delving into aquaintances & influences.

No comments: